Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Houghtaling Family Vacation 2016 (Day 3)

We slept in the next day with plans to go to the Air and Space Museum in the morning. But then I was hit with another idea and gave the option to the girls. And they went along with my new idea!! 
We were off to the zoo! I was so excited because it's the National Zoo and there were pandas!! 
But it was also 1,000 degrees and the zoo is all up hill. So, we got a little bit of a workout and had to do our best to stay hydrated. 








I will be honest though. The zoo is beautiful and there were many exhibits. However, we saw maybe 2-3 animals. It was very disappointing. But we did see the panda so Addy's day was made. We definitely enjoy our zoo better!

After the zoo, I had one stop I had to make. John thought I was an idiot, but I love cupcakes and I couldn't be that close to Georgetown Cupcakes and not stop. 



After I gladly purchased my 6 cupcakes, we headed to Arlington Cemetery. Whoa. This ended up being one of the most emotional times of my life. There were a few times throughout the day that John and I were choked up. What a humbling experience. We ended up taking a tour bus through the cemetery and it stopped and 7 different locations throughout. We only got off at a few though. First up was Kennedy's grave. I have always been so fascinated with the Kennedy's so I'm so glad I can check that off my bucket list. 


Can you tell how hot the girls are?
Next stops was The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We ended up there for about 45 minutes. I just didn't want to leave. It's so peaceful. 
We were there for the flower changing and the changing of the guards. Even my girls were mesmerized. 





Arlington Cemetery is something I won't ever forget. Ever. 

We left there and headed east for about 2 hours to stay with Aunt Mary, John's sister. She had invited us to stay the night on our way to the beach. We got there and had a super yummy dinner, the girls played outside, and we all took much needed showers. 

Next up! Outer Banks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday, Grandma Ballmer!